Stage 5: Safaga to Desert Camp

The Sun Rising over the Red Sea
Tuesday: We packed up the tent without much hassle; watched a fantastic sunrise over the Red Sea, had our first meal, and we even had Strawberries at breakfast! What more could one ask for, all before 6.30 in the morning?

The day's notice board, and strawberries at breakfast.

Early Morning Bike Park.

We left Safaga and cycled up into a head wind and our first day of climbing. It was quite a strenuous day of cycling, with long uphills into the mountains, and the day soon warmed up!

We even have a Fire Engine accompanying us (when you're hot, you're hot).

The mountains look similar to those in parts of Namibia.
"It's a long and winding road, which leaves you with no return."

Judith did not have a good ride, and we were last to arrive at the the Lunch Truck, with most of the other riders having had lunch and out on the second leg already.

I had stayed with her the whole of the first leg, she was buggered, but I wasn't so far away from being blown myself.

With a further 70 km to go, and without a faster rider available to use, to draught behind, to complete the second half (as I had done on Stage 1) I couldn't see my self finishing the stage, so discretion being the better part of valor, I lost my EFI status and climbed into the truck with Judith.

We trucked to our next camp, and camped at the Police Camp, our first real desert camping. Tent went up and after dinner we had an early nights sleep, in bed by 7.30pm. It had been a very tough day for the both of us.

Tented Camp in the Desert next to an Egyptian Police outpost.

Fortunately Tom from Minneapolis, gave a group of the riders an intense yoga session, which Judith attended, after which she was more relaxed about the days cycling and how things had developed. 

Tom, taking some of the cyclists for a Yoga session in the desert.

Group Briefing before Stage 6 tomorrow.

After a tough day cycling, Leo the Bike Mechanic helping Kyle change his setup.

In the evening, had my first "bos kak" with shovel in hand (BTW the shovel's name is "Doug") and I am sure Dough and I are going to get quite attached to each other as the tour progresses. 

Brad (one of the Crew) had a exciting experience to say the least. He went out into the dead of the night with "Doug" and he had his headlamp on with the red light (so as not to disturb anyone who was sleeping) only to be surrounded by four policemen with AK47's drawn, who demanded to know who he was!?

All in all, It was a tough day on the Tour for the two of us, but at least no one died.

Mike T

Me with my best girl by my side.

Sunset over the Desert Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment